Men's First Team
National League South · Att: 501 Tue 16 August Saunders Transport Community Stadium
  • Rowe (67')
Taunton Town

Two newly-promoted sides went head-to-head at the Easy As HGV Stadium in Hampshire as last seasons Southern League Premier South Play-Off winners Farnborough re-acquainted themselves with Champions Taunton Town.

Spencer Day’s Boro were looking to build on Saturday’s home draw, while Rob Dray’s Peacocks were in search of their first goals and points of the season.

On 18 minutes, Farnborough were caught in possession on the edge of their box and were indebted to goalkeeper Jack Turner who kept out first Jay Foulston’s powerful drive and then Dave Sims-Burgess’ rebound with an important double save.

Attacking the Moor Road End during the first half, Boro forced a corner just before the half hour mark but Tony Lee’s header from Omar Rowe’s delivery flew wide of the target.

Farnborough rode their luck at the other end of the pitch on 37 minutes when Jack Ball’s headed clearance landed to the unmarked Joe Budd who lashed a left-footed volley narrowly wide.

Five minutes before half-time and Boro were on the attack making inroads through Omar Rowe who burst into the box and his low cross fell to Taunton Town centre-back Jake Wannell who struck his clearance against Budd from close range but Foulston was on hand to clear the danger.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0 Taunton Town 0

Forty seconds into the second half and Farnborough had recored their first shot of the half with visiting goalkeeper Jack Bycroft holding onto Tony Lee’s snapshot from the edge of the box.

Brave defending from Taunton Town kept Farnborough at bay when a long throw was cleared as far as Sam Deering who saw his shot blocked and the rebound fell to Ollie Robinson but the outcome was the same.

The Peacocks created their own chance on 58 minutes with a teasing cross from Oliver Chamberlain met by Foulston at the back post but Turner was equal to the header.

A late tackle on Rowe near the left touchline by visiting Captain Nick Grimes saw the Referee award Farnborough a free-kick. Deering played the free-kick into Rowe who held off and dribbled past Foulston and his low cross was turned into his own net by Grimes on 67 minutes.

Taunton Town went in search of an equaliser with substitute Ross Stearn seeing his drive from distance saved by Turner and then the offside flag was raised for Nat Jarvis’ involvement on the rebound.

On 79 minutes Boro came close to doubling their advantage with Lee picking out the athletic Rowe who chipped the ball across the box for substitute Michael Fernandes but his first shot sailed wide.

Farnborough came even closer five minutes later when Jordan Norville-Williams played a ball into the left channel for Michael Fernandes who set up fellow substitute Hisham Kasimu but Bycroft kept out the shot with a smart save.

At the other end, Turner had to remain alert to tip a free-kick over the bar on 85 minutes.

Into seven minutes of additional time and The Peacocks were still knocking on the door but couldn’t find a way through with substitute Dylan Morgan failing to hit the target from inside the box after controlling Nick Grimes’ deflected cross.

There was only to be one goal to separate the two sides in this end-to-end game as the last chance saw Rowe play Kasimu into the box and his shot looked to be troubling Bycroft until Jake Wannell came across with a great block.

The full-time whistle eventually blew to send cheers around the Easy As HGV Stadium and relief for home Manager Spencer Day who saw his Farnborough side record a first win back in The National League South since 2015.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 1 Taunton Town 0

Att: 501