Men's First Team
The Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying · Att: 685 Sat 15 October Saunders Transport Community Stadium
  • Saied (16', 60')
  • Kasimu (31')
  • Page (45')
  • Grant (47')
  • Fernandes (87')
  • Amartey (80')
Biggleswade Town

Luca Scatola’s Match Report from Farnborough’s meeting with Biggleswade Town at the Easy As HGV Stadium.

On Saturday October 15th, Farnborough played Biggleswade Town in the Fourth Round Qualifying of The Emirates FA Cup. This was a huge game for the Boro, a win would secure them a place in the First Round Proper for the first time since 2003. However, this would be no easy task, they were facing an in-form Biggleswade Town side who were unbeaten in their last five games.

Farnborough started the match very positively, in the first minute Hisham Kasimu forced an early save from Biggleswade Town keeper Timmy Smith from extremely close range. Soon after this Kasimu came close again, as in the tenth minute Jonathon Page won the ball in the middle of the park and ran forward before laying it off to the Frenchman, who hit it first time in an attempt to wrap his foot around it into the far corner on his weaker left foot. It was a clean strike, however it trickled just wide.

In the 17th minute all the Farnborough pressure paid off. A long ball over the top from Sam Deering found its way to Selim Saied. The young winger was in terrific form having scored a hat-trick in the previous home game. He took a touch to set himself up, then fired a low shot on goal from just inside the penalty area. The powerful shot took a huge deflection, taking the ball over Smith’s head and it looped in under the crossbar.

Soon after this Farnborough doubled their lead. A corner came in and Kasimu caught the visitors napping with a late dart to connect with the cross and headed it home on 31 minutes.

Just before half-time, Farnborough added a third through Page. Deering launched a free kick into the box from inside his own half, and a defender headed away. However, the ball made its way to the feet of Page, who took a touch and thundered the bouncing ball into the top left corner of Smith’s net from outside the box. This strike definitely won goal of the day, an absolute screamer!

HALF-TIME: Farnborough 3 Biggleswade Town 0

The second half began with yet another Boro goal. It was another goal from a corner, this time it was Freddie Grant who planted his header into the bottom left-hand corner. At this point, the home side were playing delightful football, knocking the ball about as if no one was there. Fifteen minutes later, Boro scored a fifth through Saied, scoring his second of the day by placing the ball into the bottom left corner from the right-hand side of the box.

It was a very quiet game for Jack Turner, with Farnborough completely dominating possession, the most he had to do was take the odd goal kick. However, at the other end, in the 80th minute debutant Francis Amartey made it 6-0 to Farnborough. It was a wonderful counter-attacking goal; Omar Rowe received the ball in his own half and carried it up the pitch before releasing it out wide to Saied. Saied took it into the box and played a through ball to the overlapping run of Amartey, who fired it first time into the bottom left. Spencer Day will be especially pleased with that one, it was a real teamwork goal.

In the 88th minute, Farnborough added the icing on the cake and rounded the game off with a lovely Michael Fernandes goal. He planted the ball into the bottom left corner after some lovely build up play from Saied.

Soon after this the full-time whistle blew and the home fans celebrated, knowing that Farnborough were in the hat for The Emirates FA Cup First Round Proper for the first time in twenty years.

FULL-TIME: Farnborough 7 Biggleswade Town 0

Att: 685

The Man of the Match award went to Sam Deering, he was on fire in this game and it seemed like every pass he made led to a goal. This was definitely Farnborough’s most convincing performance of the season. Biggleswade Town didn’t have a sniff at goal all game.

The team now look forward to see who they are facing in the First Round Proper, with the draw taking place on the evening of Monday 17 October.