Men's First Team
The Emirates FA Cup First Round Proper · Att: 1929 Sat 5 November VBS Community Stadium
Sutton United
  • Amartey (96')
  • Fernandes (87')

Michael Fernandes came off the bench to make it 1-0 in the 85th minute that sent the away support into wild celebrations. The goal came from a long throw in from Ollie Robinson that had been causing Sutton United problems all game long.

The game was capped off brilliantly in the 6th minute of added time, with Sutton United committing all their players forward in search of an equaliser. Substitute Francis Amartey was played through by Sam Deering, went round goalkeeper Lewis Ward and tapped the second into an open goal

Before the final ten minutes, the game was a tight affair with not much action for large periods of the game but both teams didn’t go without their chances.

Goalkeeper Jack Turner was once again superb in the Farnborough net, denying Sutton United time and time again to keep Farnborough in the game. With the first save coming five minutes into the game which led to a goalmouth scramble before eventually being cleared off the line by Jack Ball.

Farnborough had a chance right after as Sam Deering put a lovely floated cross into the box which Hisham Kasimu was able to meet however, he was unable to keep his header down but was still enough to have the Sutton United goalkeeper worried.

After that chances came hard to find for Boro as Sutton United took a hold of proceedings. Enzio Boldwijn should have scored for the home side however Jordan Norville-Williams produced an excellent block to keep the FA Cup dream alive. Sutton United continued to pile on the pressure and just two minutes later home winger Will Randall hit the outside of the post.

Sutton United continued to be relentless and had another chance five minutes after Randall hit the post. Craig Eastmond broke past the Farnborough defence however Jack Turner produced another outstanding save down to his right-hand side to keep the tie at 0-0.

Farnborough brought themselves back into it just before the break as Selim Saied and Jonathon Page both had half chances that were unable to really threaten the home goal. Just before the break, Sutton United broke through again and Jack Turner produced another fantastic save to ensure Boro went in level pegging.

HALF-TIME: Sutton United 0 Farnborough 2

The second half was just as tense if not more with chances being few and far between with Farnborough looking to counter-attack. And they did just that as in the 67th minute Saied went on an incredible run and found Deering who blazed over the top.

In the 80th minute, Farnborough Manager Spencer Day made a double substitution, bringing off Kasimu and Saied who had both run tirelessly all afternoon. In their place, on came Michael Fernandes and Francis Amartey and what an impact they had as they both scored to send 500 plus travelling Farnborough fans into hysterics as the side reached the Second Round Proper of the competition for the first time.

FULL-TIME: Sutton United 0 Farnborough 2

Att: 1,929 (510 away supporters)

What a result and Farnborough are now eight unbeaten heading into Tuesday night’s game at home to Eastbourne Borough back in The Vanarama National League South.