Men's First Team
National League South · Att: 667 Sat 22 April Saunders Transport Community Stadium
  • Bloomfield (7')
  • Holmes (40')
  • Saied (71')

Farnborough started the day sat at 11th in the table, and with the end of the season looming, this was a must win game if they want any hope of qualifying for the Play-Offs, writes Luca Scatola.

There was an early chance for the home side as John Oyenuga charged down the left-hand side before passing the ball to the feet of Mason Bloomfield, who spun past his man and let a wayward shot off.

A poor clearance by Dover Athletic keeper Stuart Nelson led to another Boro chance within five minutes, as Selim Saied picked up the loose ball and squared it to Ricky Holmes whose shot was straight at the keeper.

With seven minutes on the clock, Selim Saied went on a brilliant run on the right wing before sending a cross into the box. None of the Dover Athletic defenders could deal with the delivery and the ball made its way to Mason Bloomfield, who fired the ball past Nelson to put the home side 1-0 up inside 10 minutes.

After 26 minutes, Dover Athletic got their first real chance of the game. Luke Wanadio ran with the ball down the right-hand side, entered the box and let a fierce strike off that was inches wide of Jack Turner’s goal.

With ten minutes to go before the break, returning Farnborough winger Reggie Young whipped in a corner that was aimed at the front post. Veteran Holmes leaped to glance it in, but Nelson matched the header with a brilliant save as he parried the ball clear.

Five minutes later the home side doubled their lead. A corner came in from Young and Kevin Lokko met it with a bullet of a header into the top right corner, and Nelson couldn’t save this one.

This made it 2-0 just before the break. This was the last chance of the first half and Farnborough could walk down the tunnel with their heads held high, having dominated the opening 45 and were very organised in defence.

HALF-TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Dover Athletic

The second half started slowly, with Farnborough happy to keep possession and control the game. Fifteen minutes into the second period, Alfie Saunders swung a free-kick into the box and it was met yet again by Lokko. However, this time his header was straight at Nelson who saved it with ease.

After 71 minutes, Farnborough scored another. This time, it was Saied on the scoresheet. Saunders played a brilliant through ball to the winger, who found himself one-on-one with Nelson. The keeper instantly rushed out to sweep the ball away, however, Saied stayed composed and chipped the ball over him and made it 3-0 to Boro.

Just a few minutes later, the Farnborough players linked up beautifully and released Page on the right-hand side. He crossed the ball into the box and it rolled agonisingly wide after none of his team-mates could make contact. After this, The Yellows managed the game fantastically well, keeping the ball and limiting Dover Athletic in the final third.

The game finished 3-0, which is a huge result for Farnborough. This was a must-win game and the players well and truly turned up for it.

FULL-TIME: Farnborough 3-0 Dover Athletic

Att: 667