Men's First Team
National League South · Att: 311 Mon 28 August Bolitho Park
Truro City
  • Neal (65')
  • Harvey (79', 88')
  • Holmes (90')

Farnborough fell to a second defeat of the season, losing 3-1 away at Truro City on Bank Holiday Monday in  a disappointing outing for The Yellows, writes Rhys Cornwell.

Andrew Neal started the scoring for Truro City, before substitute Tyler Harvey scored a brace for the home side. Ricky Holmes pulled one back for Boro who left it too late to make any sort of comeback.

The first half started off as a very scrappy match with not many chances for either side, and it took until the 11th minute for the first chance of the game. Truro City’s Ryan Brett found a loose ball coming to him on the edge of the area and his shot rifled over the crossbar.

The game was fairly lacklustre after that chance and it took until the 44th minute for another real chance to come about. The hosts’ Andrew Neal found himself through one-on-one with Jack Turner, but was unable to convert, hitting the frame of the goal.

Farnborough’s first big chance of the game came directly after as Jayden Davis found himself one on one with a Truro City defender, he beat his man and crossed towards Jaden Perez who skied his shot from inside the penalty area.

HALF-TIME: Truro City 0 Farnborough 0

Boro started the second half poorly and Truro City created two chances in the opening 15 minutes. The first came in the 58th minute as Adam Porter came onto a loose ball that had been pinballing around, but he was unable to keep his volley down.

The second chance also fell to Porter who had the ball cut back to him on the right-hand side of the goal, he shot across goal, but Jack Turner was equal to it and tipped it over.

Truro City’s pressure finally paid off in the 65th minute however, as Andrew Neal opened the scoring with an impressive counter-attacking goal. Farnborough had a corner cleared to Harvey Greenslade who went on a magnificent run from inside his own half to the edge of the opposing box. He fed the ball into Andrew Neal who was able to slot the ball past Jack Turner and give the home side the lead.

Jack Turner was forced into another big save in the 75th minute as a cross came into the box and it bounced off the head of Jordan Norville-Williams, but the Farnborough keeper was able to save with his feet and keep Boro in the game.

Boro were unable to create any real chances however, and in the 82nd minute Truro City doubled their lead through Tyler Harvey. A mix-up at the back for Farnborough left the ball at Harvey’s feet, who was able to place the ball past Turner and give Truro City a two-goal advantage.

Paul Wooton’s men added a third in the first minute of added time thanks to Harvey again. The Truro City attacker shot from just inside the box and was able to place the ball into the bottom right-hand corner to ruin Boro’s hopes of a comeback.

Ricky Holmes did his best to limit the damage for The Yellows as he scored a goal of the season contender just two minutes later to give his side a lifeline. The ball was cleared from a corner and fell to Holmes about 30 yards from goal and he smashed a volley into the top left corner of the goal.

However, that goal was the last real action of the game and Farnborough fell to their second defeat of the season, ending a four-game unbeaten run.

FULL-TIME: Truro City 3 Farnborough 1

Att: 311