Men's First Team
National League South · Att: 1741 Tue 5 September Plainmoor
Torquay United
  • Jarvis (39', 90')
  • Ash (69')

Farnborough fell to a disappointing 3-0 defeat away at Torquay United, with defensive mistakes proving costly for The Yellows, writes Rhys Cornwell.

A brace from Aaron Jarvis and a goal from Bradley Ash ensured Boro made the long trip home empty-handed.

The hosts started the game the better of the two sides and in the fourth minute Will Jenkins-Davies was close to giving United the lead, but Jack Turner got down to his near post and was able to make the save.

Torquay United again almost took the lead in the 12th minute. A free kick was swung into the box and Ross Marshall was there at the back post but was unable to direct his header towards goal.

Boro’s first chance of the game came in the 21st minute. A short back pass was nearly latched onto by Jordan Norville Williams who tried to poke the ball past Mark Halstead in the United goal, however Halstead was able to collect the ball in his arms.

In-form Boro striker Alfie Pavey found his first chance come in the 31st minute. Ricky Holmes scuffed a shot from outside of the box which was then deflected onto the head of Pavey who hit the bar with a header from six yards out.

Gary Johnson’s men took the lead in the 39th minute, courtesy of striker Aaron Jarvis. A ball was played through, and Ollie Robinson was unable to intercept the pass. Jarvis found himself with just the keeper to beat and squeezed the ball past Turner at the near post giving Torquay United the lead. The goal was the last bit of action in what was a dull half of football.

HALF-TIME: Torquay United 1 Farnborough 0

Torquay United started the second half on top but were unable to create any meaningful chances until the 60th minute. Bradley Ash was able to skip through the Farnborough defence, but his effort was saved well by Turner. The ball then fell to Jack Stobbs just inside the area and his shot just drifted wide of the post.

Ash almost put the hosts two goals up in the 67th minute as the ball fell to him just inside the Farnborough penalty area, he swivelled and his left footed shot left Jack Turner stranded but cannoned back off the post.

However, just two minutes later, Ash got his goal. A cross came into the box and the Boro defence failed to deal with it. The ball was laid off by Jarvis to Ash who shot into an empty net to double The Gulls’ lead.

Ollie Robinson almost gave The Yellows a lifeline in the 75th minute as he shot from well over 30 yards out. Halstead was beaten but the shot came back off the post.

Spencer Day’s side continued to pressure and called Halstead into action again as he made a wonderful save from Selim Saied who shot from close range. However, that was it for Farnborough’s chances of getting back into the game.

Jarvis sealed the game for Torquay United in the eighth minute of stoppage time. Jarvis ran through the Boro defence and was brought down by Jack Ball who was sent off for his second yellow card. The Torquay United number nine stepped up to take the penalty and scored emphatically into the bottom left giving Turner no chance and the hosts all three points.

FULL-TIME: Torquay United 3 Farnborough 0

Att: 1,741 (32 away)