Men's First Team
National League South · Att: 735 Sat 14 October Saunders Transport Community Stadium
  • Hall (35')
  • Folivi (40')
St Albans City
  • Rasulo (1')

Farnborough won their first game in four after they came from behind to beat St Albans City 2-1 and return to winning ways in The Vanarama National League South, writes Rhys Cornwell.

The game started at a frantic with St Albans City scoring in the opening minute. Dylan Fage’s cross from the left fell to fellow midfielder Giorgio Rusalo who controlled well and slotted past Jack Turner to give The Saints a 1-0 lead before 30 seconds had been played.

Michael Folivi almost got Farnborough level two minutes later. The ball was crossed to the back post where the striker was waiting, but his acrobatic effort went high over the bar.

The Yellows had multiple chances to get back into the game. In the 15th minute, Pendlebury broke down the left-hand side and cut the ball onto his right foot but his shot from inside the box went well wide and out for a throw in.

Mitchell Weiss nearly gave St Albans City a two-goal lead. The ball broke to him on the left-hand side of the box, Weiss cut in on his right foot and tried to shoot to Turner’s near post, but Turner was able to save the ball with his feet and keep Boro in the game.

Connor Hall got Farnborough back into the game in the 34th minute with his first goal for the Club. The ball bounced around in the St Albans City box and fell to Hall who was able to break past the defence and finish calmly into Michael Johnson’s net.

St Albans City nearly regained the lead thanks to a free kick from Rasulo. However, Turner was equal to the incredible free-kick and saved well onto the woodwork.

Michael Folivi gave Boro the lead in the 40th minute. Folivi was one-on-one with Johnson, but the defence was able to catch up and a fortuitous bounce lifted the ball over a stranded Johnson and to give the hosts a 2-1 lead going into the break

HALF-TIME: Farnborough 2 St Albans City 1

The second half didn’t start nearly as fast as the first half. The first big chance didn’t arrive until the 55th minute. Ollie Robinson got his head onto an Olly Pendlebury corner, but the ball was directed over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

Five minutes later, Boro were given a chance to double their lead from the penalty spot. A short corner was played into Folivi who sharply turned his man, but was brought down and won a penalty. Folivi stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick, but his effort to the right-hand side of the goal was saved well by Johnson to keep the score at 2-1.

St Albans City had a chance to equalise in the 68th minute. Akanbi was able to get onto the end of a cross and direct a head goalwards. However, Turner was able to get down low and make a comfortable save.

Folivi had another chance to make it 3-1 to the hosts, but he dragged his left footed shot just wide of the post.

Farnborough substitute Dan Gifford also had a chance to seal it in the 89th minute, but his shot from a tight angle was straight at the St Albans City keeper – and the game ended 2-1 in North East Hampshire.

FULL-TIME: Farnborough 2 St Albans City 1

Att: 735